Browse Posts


Browse Posts

tips & advice

Browse Posts


find us elsewhere

ma maison
wedding event & Venue

Hi there! Welcome to the Ma Maison blog. Stay a while and say hello!

Tying the Knot in Texas: What you Need to Know


While it’s fun preparing for all the beauty and frills of your wedding day, it’s also important to keep track of the legal requirements associated your wedding. Texas makes it easy, no matter where you’re from, to get married here.  

First off, there are no residency or blood test requirements in Texas.  So, if you’re not from Texas, but got here as fast as you could, you’re all set on that front.

Next, there’s the process of getting your marriage license.  You can obtain a marriage license from any county clerk’s office in Texas.  It doesn’t necessarily have to be from the same county in which you’re getting married. For example, if you get a license in Dallas county, you can still be married in the Texas Hill Country.  You will need to provide a valid form of government issued photo identification, such as driver’s license or passport to present to the county clerk.  If only one of you is able to come to the county clerk’s office, that person will need to present an Affidavit of Absent Applicant for the missing person, along with a valid form of government issued ID. There is a fee for the license, which varies by county.  

Once you have your license, there is a 72 hour waiting period between the time you receive your license and your wedding ceremony.  This requirement is waived for any military personnel and Department of Defense employees.  If you want to plan ahead and get your license well in advance of your wedding, your license is good for 90 days.

Requirements for an officiant of your ceremony are pretty simple.  Any minister or other religious official authorized to conduct weddings may perform your ceremony.  Alternately, you may have a federal, state or county judge, or justice of the peace, either active or retired, officiate your ceremony.

Following the ceremony, if either member of the newly married couple wants a name change, just bring your completed Texas marriage license to your local Department of Public Safety or state Department of Motor Vehicles office as proof of the name change.

Photo courtesy of Matt Montalvo

Photo courtesy of Matt Montalvo

Now that you know what’s required to get married in Texas, you just need to pick the right venue.  Consider Ma Maison, a Hill Country gem nestled deep in the heart of Texas.  You’ll find the Texas charm you’re looking for combined with European grace and elegance.  Contact us to set-up a tour and learn more about setting up your perfect Texas wedding.


Ready to bring your dreams to life?



Follow along